Hi to all Year 5,
Apologies for the slightly late quiz.
Usual rules apply, sadly nobody got involved last week. Remember it’s a prize for every correct set of answers.
1. What is Bruno Mars’s real name and where was he born?
2. What is the name of the Mediterranean Island which has an internal border known as ‘no man’s land’s?
3. What is the meat ingredient of a Shepherd’s Pie?
4. Where was the first city in the UK that had a branch of KFC?
5. What is the starting point of a river called?
6. Would, must, could, shall and ought are all examples of which type of verb?
Hi Peel Hall children,
We hope you are well and keeping safe with your families. This week we have been very busy in the Peel Hall juniors. We started with a project based around a great book called Egg Drop by Mini Grey.
The book tells the story of an egg that was determined to fly, even though the hens told him he couldn’t. He climbs a tower, jumps off and… SPLAT!! The children used the story to inspire them to write a poem written through the eyes of the egg. Then, they retold the story through a comic strip. The children also designed and tested a egg protector that would cushion the egg’s fall. Finally, they created some Egg Drop artwork with oil pastel drawings of the egg before the leap and after the leap. The colours reflected his feelings.
We had a ‘mapping day’ on Wednesday. We went into the Forest School to create a story map and a natural materials map of the Forest School grounds. After that, we came back into the class to create an island with a theme of our choosing on a large sheet. We added some features to our island and put a grid over it. Then, our friends had to find the grid references of all the features. It was great fun!
We also did some 3D art work of our hands and followed instructions of an illustrator to draw cartoon dinosaurs. They looked really cool.
We’ve had a great week. Thanks for being superstars a trying so hard.
Mr Sutherland and Mrs Hilton-Le.
Wednesday Super 6 Qulz
Hi to all Y5..complete the questions correctly and win a prize when we return…
1. In what year did the vocaloid singer Hatsune Miku release her first song? (Isla question)
2. Which part of London is known as ‘Little Venice’?
3. What was the popular app ‘Tic-Tok’ previously called (Another Isla question)
4. In which English city will you find Trent Bridge, The City Ground and Meadow Lane?
5. Add the brackets to this sentence
Southport which is a coastal town is popular with motor cyclists.
6. Tyson the dog wants to buy a new car. The car costs £550 but Tyson only has £394. How much more money does Tyson need to buy the car.
Hi Peel Hall children,
I hope everyone is well. I know it is tough but it is important we all stay safe. I have been mixing work with some nice family time. I’ve been doing a lot of decorating and exercising, I’m exhausted now!
I have heard from a my class a few times over the last two weeks. Pharrell and Angel sent me their answers to Mr Irving’s quiz. They did a great job and I have passed it on to him.
Last Friday, I spent time with my family celebrating VE day. We had afternoon tea and played games. I’m not the only one who was celebrating. Isla and her family sent in pictures of them celebrating VE day and taking an interest in photos that we up in their street. Well done girls.
The Furnivals have also got very creative with their paint. They have covered the garden and each other, but came out with some lovely pictures that they sent in. Almost good enough to get a puppy, eh Isla!
Finally, I have had a very special message sent from Louie. Whilst staying safe with his family, Louie has celebrated his 10th birthday. From the photos, it looked like he was having a wonderful time. He made delicious looking cakes, had special balloons and even chilled out in a hot tub! It looked amazing! I will sing Happy Birthday to you when we’re back in.
Please let me know what you have been up to, including photos where possible. Write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org . It always puts a smile on my face to hear from you as I miss you lots.
Stay safe and be kind to your family,
The Wednesday Super 6 Quiz
1. Which seasoning used to be worth more than its weight in gold? (Isla question)
2. What have Manchester United and Lancashire County Cricket Club both got in common? (Apart from both being located in Manchester)
3. What flavour of soup is the most popular in Britain?
4. What unusual event is currently taking place on a weekly basis in Belarus?
5. Add together nine squared and five squared. What’s the total?
6. Where would you put brackets in this sentence?
Ed Sheeran an award winning singer started his musical career by performing on You Tube.
Hope to hear from you soon,
The Wednesday Super 6 (a day late)
Apologies for the lateness…
Usual rules apply, enter to win a prize…when we return!
1. Where and how were Doritos invented? (Isla question)
2. In the world, there are two types of rainforest. What are they called?
3. I would like to visit this country. It has the capital city of Tallinn. What is the country?
4. What is the next square number after 144?
5. What is wrong with this sentence?
The angry cat who attacked humans at random was not very popular.
6. What is the nearest professional football club to Peel Hall Primary School?
Keep safe and follow the guidelines.
Best wishes, Mr Irving.
Hi Peel Hall children,
It was lovely to hear from a couple of my class today. Firstly, Scarlett has sent me details and pictures of the lava lamp she has made. She also sent me instructions on how to make it! It looks brilliant Scarlett, thanks so much.
Angel has also sent me a message with all the work she has been doing at home. She sent me photos of her maths, SPAG, skills and she has even written a fantastic poem. What a super star!
Great work girls. Please keep letting me know what you are doing Y5 Peake (or any other children) because I miss you all. Email me at peel email@example.com .
Take care, stay safe and be kind.
Hi Peel Hall children,
I hope you are all staying safe and being helpful. I have tried to keep my kids busy in a number of ways, but the ideas they love the most are the D&T projects we do. Whether it is cooking, building or designing, they love it! Sometimes it is just having the ideas of what to do with minimal resources that is the problem. So here are a few things you could do at home without needing lots of materials:
Design a space shuttle with everything you’d want on/in it
Make a marble run
Design and make a healthy meal with a starter, main and dessert
Make a marshmallow catapult
Make a water wheel
Create your own Lego city
Design and make a boat that floats and is wind propelled
Make your own book ends
Bake a cake
Design a flag and make a moving pulley to put it on
Make a cardboard box monster
Make a pendulum painting
Here are a few websites with ideas:
10 Awesome Force And Motion Activities And Extra Resources
Let me know how you got on with these creative tasks by emailing me on firstname.lastname@example.org and please include pictures.
Wednesday Super 6 Quiz
Hello 5 Darwin…
Hope everyone is well and following the rules..
Well done to Callum and Rhianna in 5 Peake for responding last week. They will both be awarded a prize when we return.
This week’s questions are as follows…
1. What did President Trump suggest would be a good idea for American citizens to inject themselves with as a possible cure for Covid 19?
2. Back in November, we visited Manchester. Many Y5 pupils really enjoyed the time we spent at the velodrome and BMX centre. Which British female has won the UCI BMX World Championship 3 times?
3. There are 4 main Spanish islands which make up The Balearics. Put them in size order smallest to biggest.
4. In what year was game ‘Roblox’ created? (Isla question)
5. In which British county would you find these towns and cities?
Taunton, Yeovil, Bath and Minehead.
6. Warrington Wolves, Leeds Rhinos, Swinton Lions and Salford Red Devils are all teams that play which sport?
I look forward to your replies.
Take care and keep safe.
Announcing the Wednesday Super 6!
Each Wednesday, I will post 6 questions. Email your answers to school to win a prize when we return.
1. Name 2 countries that are in the continent of Australasia apart from Australia itself.
2. In what year did You Tube first appear on the World Wide Web?
3. What is the longest river in Scotland?
4. Who invented computer code? (Isla’s question)
5. Which football team was on top of football’s Premier League when the league was suspended?
6. In which Italian city, it is thought that the first pizzas were made and eaten?
Have fun, keep in touch and stay safe.